The book has recently taken on an eerie relevance as a consequence of controversial American and British interrogation practices in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. In a new introduction, Langbein contrasts the "new" law of torture with the older European law and offers some pointed lessons about the difficulty of reconciling coercion with accurate investigation.
Embellished with fascinating illustrations of torture devices taken from an eighteenth-century criminal code, this crisply written account will engage all those interested in torture's remarkable grip on European legal history. John H. It is a concise scholarly work that compares two legal systems with graceful ease and has provocative implications extending far beyond the sleazy world of rack, strappado, and thumb screw.
Torture and the Law of Proof: Europe and England in the Ancien Régime by John H. Langbein
Convert currency. Add to Basket. Condition: New. Seller Inventory NEW More information about this seller Contact this seller.
Motte & Bailey
Never used!. Seller Inventory P Brand New!.
Seller Inventory VIB Publisher: University Of Chicago Press , He has been the reporter and principal drafter of several uniform acts, including the Uniform Prudent Investor Act , which governs fiduciary investment in most states. Since he has also been a member of the U. Langbein has appeared frequently on national television programs as a critic of American criminal and civil procedure. He believes that the European style of nonadversarial justice is more fair, accurate and economical than American procedures.
- Build Your Writer’s Platform & Fanbase In 22 Days: Attract Agents, Editors, Publishers, Readers, and Media Attention NOW?
- Cleaning Up: One Mans Redemptive Journey Through the Seductive World of Corporate Crime.
- Manonmani Maalai.
- Books in brief: Ferraris, Saulter, Sun-Tzu, Langbein – Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea;
- Blog Archive?
- Yale Bulletin and Calendar.
- Article History.
He has written a series of historical monographs on the origins of the Anglo-American adversary system of criminal procedure, and, in books and articles, has contrasted modern Anglo-American civil and criminal procedure with Continental practice. He also earned a Ph.
- Get e-book Torture and the Law of Proof: Europe and England in the Ancien Régime?
- Rodama: a blog of 18th century & Revolutionary French trivia: Torture in theory.
- Get e-book Torture and the Law of Proof: Europe and England in the Ancien Régime;
- Innovative & Productive Sales Strategies: Pinpoint Sales Skill Development Training Series.
- SearchWorks Catalog;
Related Torture and the Law of Proof: Europe and England in the Ancien Régime
Copyright 2019 - All Right Reserved